Saturday 21 March 2009

Mad Props For Tim Westwood


Tim Westwood is a comic figure to many, occasionally a controversial one, but as a DJ on the London pirate station LWR he was the man that introduced me to loads of great music. Known for it's hip hop exclusives, Westwood's radio show was also the source of many great funk and boogie discoveries for me. Here is a surprisingly soulful list of my top 10 Westwood tunes from those days. I remembered where I heard it first Tim ... respect!

Rome Jefferies - Good Love
Dee Dee Bridgewater - Lonely Disco Dancer
Cloud One - Patti Duke
Deniece Wiliams - Cause You Love Me Baby
Brooklyn Express - You Need A Change Of Mind
Barbara Mitchell - Never Had A Love
Sound Dimension - Granny Scratch Scratch
Jermaine Jackson - You Like Me Don't You
Ciara - Goodies
Billie - Ain't Nobody's Business

1 comment:

  1. Cloud One - Patti Duke
    Barbara Mitchell - Never Had A Love
    Sound Dimension - Granny Scratch Scratch

    I remember him playing those tracks especially. He also played

    Baby Huey - Listen To Me
    Liquid Liquid - Cavern
    Trouble Funk - Saturday Night Live/Trouble Funk Express
    Bill Moss - Sock It To Em Soul Brother
    Hank Ballard - From The Love Side

    For me he was the original rare groove DJ, alongside all the amazing new Hip Hop he was the first to play in the UK, back as far as '85. I wish I still had all my tapes. His shows were an education, especially all the live Jazzy Jay jams he was playing that I still can't track down... Fran

    ReplyDelete